David Cronenberg sat down with Arte (France) to talk about Cosmopolis and gave great insight into the film. The video is dubbed but if you get into a zen space and channel David’s voice, you can hear what he’s saying. Ommmmmmmmmm
Some notes I gathered from the interview in case the dubbing makes you scream:
- The book worked beautifully as a movie.
- Important to remember that you’re not translating a book, you’re making a movie.
- Thought it was more interesting to keep the characters in a confined space because Eric has power.
- Felt it was better that Didi came to Eric and he didn’t go to her.
- The limo is luxurious with drinks, food, toilets, everything.
- Sitting in the limo, being in the limo is like being inside Eric’s head. You’re not in the real world.
- Great metaphor of the limo as a submarine, under siege, going through alien territory. Eric can only breath if he’s in the limo and when he goes out into the ocean, he drowns.
- During the course of the day, Eric discovers that he’s trapped, he’s a prisoner and he’s not free.
- Eric discovers an obscure, dangerous way to be free.
- He has simplified his filmmaking.
- Discusses how we invent money yet we can’t control it at all. It has its own life and can destroy people. His relationship with money is straightforward and he’s not really a money person. He tries to keep it as simple as possible.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.